Netgear has made it really beneficial for their users to use their product from a couple of years. A lot of people were facing problems while setting up and installing their routers. The configuration felt very difficult and a lot of people were lost. Netgear provided the users with a solution. They now ship their routers configured to use www.routerlogin.net straight out of the box. This has made it really easy for the users to install and configure the routers themselves and has helped the users so that they don’t have to remember the IP address of their routers. This is great news for the not so tech savvy people as now anyone can setup and configure the router themselves. Setting up a new password and securing the network has become a breeze. Alternatively, most of the Netgear routers can be logged in using the default IP address which is 192.168.1.1. Knowing how to configure and manage your router will help the user maximize the effectiveness of the network and also help the user get the most out of their internet network. To get the full potential out of the network will provide the user their money’s worth out of their router.
Securing the network is a very important part as it will help in keeping all the sensitive information safe that passes through the router. There is a lot of sensitive information that passes through the router of the user such as the user’s private information, their banking details, their emails and passwords and more. So, it is imperative that the network is secure. There are a lot of threats from hackers or people who are just a little too curious and the information of the user can easily fall into the wrong hands. So, securing the network is very important and a lot of people might not even know about this or might not have logged in their router in ever. Even some tech savvy people almost never log in to their routers or even upgrade their firmware.
Upgrading the firmware of the router to the latest firmware is a very simple task and it only takes a couple of minutes. A Firmware Upgrade brings a lot of improvements to the router. And it also helps in keeping the router secure and up to date from the threats. It makes the router compatible with the new media devices so that as the new media devices come out, you don’t have to go around buying new routers every time. Your router will still be able to connect to the media devices if you just keep your firmware upgraded. Not every technology is perfect, there are some issues with everything. A firmware upgrade helps eliminate that by fixing the bugs and sometimes adding new features to the router. A firmware update might even enhance the performance of the router or provide some speed boosts. A Firmware is released in order to increase the overall performance of the routers so that the users can use their routers to its full potential.
Here, we will show you how to configure your Netgear Router so that you can have the best possible experience out of your router. From configuring your router to set up, logging in and using the advanced features such as Parental Control, Guest Network and more.
How to set up your Netgear Router:
Here are some prerequisites required to set up your Netgear router:
a. Enough Ethernet cables for the connections required.
b. A device, preferably a desktop computer with which you want to setup the router.
c. A pen and a sheet of paper if the user wants to set up a new username and password to write it down.
To install your Netgear Router, these are the steps that need to be followed:
- First, connect the modem to the internet port of the router using an Ethernet cable. Make sure the connections are properly made.
- Now, connect the computer to the LAN port of the router using an Ethernet cable. Make sure the connections are properly made.
- Now, reboot or reset all the devices by turning them off and then on. Let them boot for a couple of minutes. Proceed when the blinking lights stop and the power light becomes a solid color on the router.
- Now, open up a web browser of your choice on the desktop computer that is connected to the router. Type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar on the top of the browser. Alternatively, you can type the default IP address of the router which is 192.168.1.1 for most of the Netgear routers.
- Once you have entered the default Gateway, a login window will display. It will ask you for the username and the password before you can access the Netgear Router settings page. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers.
In some cases, the login page will not recognize the password. It might be because the user has set up a customized password. In that case, the user needs to enter that password.
If the user has either lost or forgotten the password, then a factory reset of the router is required in order to restore the router to its default settings.
- Once you have logged in, the setup page will take you to the Netgear Setup Wizard. Now, the setup wizard will try to detect the type of internet connection that you have. It is by default Dynamic IP for all wired connections. Click Yes and then click Next and proceed.
- After selecting your Connection, the Setup Wizard will guide you through the whole setup. You can now choose to create a new username in the SSID field under the Wireless Network You can also choose to set up a new password under the security options. Setting up a new password will help you secure your network.
- On the left side of the setup screen, you can opt to change any settings as you desire such as turning the Guest Network on or off, preventing anyone to get access of your Router Setup page by locking it, setting up Parental controls for filtering any inappropriate content and more.
How to Reset your Netgear Router:
After all the desired changes have been made, saving the settings is required in order to implement the changes made. The router will reboot for a couple of minutes after saving the settings. If by some chance the router doesn’t reboot, perform the reboot manually.
Your router has been configured and you can now proceed to use the internet as you desire by entering the username or password you set up.
Resetting the Netgear Router is often required in many processes or if the user has just lost or forgotten their personalized password or they wish to set up a new username or password. Here are some steps on how to reset your Netgear router:
- Locate the Reset button on the back of the router. It will be labeled as “Reset”.
- Using some sort of pin or the end of a paperclip or just anything similar, press the reset button and hold it for about 10 seconds.
- After holding the reset button for about 10 seconds, release it and wait for the router to reboot.
After the router has finished rebooting, the Power light will stop blinking and it will turn solid green or white in the newer models. This means that the factory default settings on your Netgear Router have been restored.
Take note that after you have reset your Netgear Router, all your personalized configurations such as the username, password and your security settings will be lost as well.
How to Update the Netgear Router’s Firmware:
Updating the Firmware of your Netgear Router is very important as it will help you reap the most benefits from your router and keep all your security and settings up to date on your router.
Here are some steps to download and update your router’s firmware manually:
- Go to the NETGEAR Download Centre and download the latest firmware for your router and save it to the desired location.
- Now, launch a web browser of your choice from the computer that is connected to your router. It is preferred that the computer is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.
A wireless connection while upgrading your firmware might cause some damage to the router.
- Enter www.routerlogin.net in the address bar of the browser.
- A login window will ask you to put in the username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”. The username and password are case sensitive.
- Now, Select ADVANCED and then choose Administration.
- You will see a Router Update or Firmware Update The option may vary for different models. Click it.
- Now, click Browse or Choose File to select the firmware that you previously downloaded.
- Locate the firmware download and click Open. Then click on Upload to upload the latest firmware on your Netgear router.
It is advised not to interrupt the update process as it might cause some damage to the router and leave it unusable.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) answered:
- Is it possible to upgrade my Netgear Router’s firmware via the Setup Wizard?
Yes, it is possible.
- I have lost my username and password of a very old router I wish to use. What should I do?
You can simply reset your router. After resetting, your router will restore back to its default settings and then you can access the Login page to configure your router as you desire.
- Can I setup my router using a Smartphone?
Yes, your router can be set up using any wireless devices for the first time. But it is advised that the Router setup is performed by a wired connection as there are no chances of damaging the router in a wired connection.
- I have tried connecting to the login page but I cannot log in to my router. What should I do?
You can go to www.routerlogin.net to configure the router. Alternatively, you can use the default IP address of your router to gain access to the login page of your router. If everything else fails, you can choose to reset your router to restore it back to the default settings and then try again.
- How do I secure my home network?
You can secure your home network by setting up a personalized passphrase for your network and make sure you are not sharing the password with anybody other than the people you wish to share with.
- Can I restrict access of some inappropriate content on my home network?
Yes, using the Parental Control feature on your router, you can restrict the inappropriate content or any particular website on your home network to make you network more secure.
- How do I know if my router’s firmware is out of date?
Your Smart Wizard App will notify you if there are any updates pending. Also, you can check manually if there are any firmware upgrades are due.
- Will resetting the router reset all my personalized settings on the router?
Yes, it will restore all the settings to default including your personalized username, password and security settings.
- Can I connect to my router using a wireless device?
Yes, you can connect to your router and configure it as well using a wireless device.
- Can I leave my router on all the time or do I have to switch it off for it to cool down?
Yes, you can choose to leave your router on as long as you wish.