A firmware is the software that runs the hardware of the device. In our case, it runs the hardware on the router. The firmware of the router makes sure that everything passing through the router is kept safe and secured. The security on the router needs to be updated in order to provide protection from any vulnerable threats. All the sensitive information of the user passes through the router such as the private information of the user, their emails and passwords, their banking information when they buy something online and more. In order for the router to stay safe from any vulnerable threats, the firmware of the router needs to be updated. The firmware update is a very simple process and only takes a couple of minutes of the user’s time.
The new firmware brings a lot of updates to the router. The new firmware makes sure that the router is compatible with the latest media technology and that the security on the router is kept up to date so that the sensitive data of the user isn’t vulnerable to potential threats. The new firmware also removes any bugs from the firmware and resolves any previously faced issues with the router. The new firmware might also bring some new features to the router for the better experience of the user and provides overall enhanced speed boosts.
Here, we will show you the troubleshooting steps to update the firmware of the Netgear WNDR37v4 router:
- Open any internet browser on the same device that is connected to the same Netgear router.
- Open the NETGEAR Download Center and download the latest firmware of the router. Make sure that you type in the correct model number of the router and that you are downloading the latest firmware for your Netgear router.
- Now, open any internet browser and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. Press enter; the user will be taken to the login page for the router. There, the user will be prompted to enter the default information regarding the router.
- The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and password are case sensitive.
- The web based interface will appear. There, select the ADVANCED tab. Click on Administration.
- Click the Firmware Update or Router Update option. The option may be different for different router models.
- Click Choose File or Browse option to locate the previously downloaded file.
- Click Open. Now, click the Update option.
Warning: It is recommended that the user regularly updates the firmware of the router. Netgear releases the firmware updates regularly. Recently, the FBI also issued a warning regarding the Russian Malware that infected hundreds of thousands of Netgear routers. The security must be kept up to date as the new firmware brings in the security patches with the firmware update. Therefore, the user must keep the firmware of the router up to date.