Netgear is one of the most reliable and trustworthy networking hardware providing companies to the users. They provide very reliable and user friendly routers. The routers contain software which is called the firmware of the router. The firmware is the Operating System of the router. All the actions performed by the router and its hardware are carried by the firmware of the router. Just like any other operating system, the firmware also needs to be updated for numerous reasons. Some of the reasons are:
- To make sure that the router stays compatible with the latest media devices that come out almost every other day.
- To make sure that the security on the router is kept up to date so that the user’s private information is secure.
- To remove the bugs or resolve the previously faced issues with the router.
- To add some new features to the router to better the user experience.
- To provide overall enhanced speed boosts.
The firmware update is a very simple process and only takes a couple of minutes of the user’s time. Here, we will provide the troubleshooting steps to update the firmware of the router.
- Open a web browser of your choice on the same device that is connected to the Netgear router.
- Go to the NETGEAR Download Center and download the latest firmware for your router. Make sure that you type the correct model number of the router. Installing the firmware of a different router model may corrupt the firmware of the router and may even render the router useless.
- Now, open an internet browser and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and press enter. The user will be taken to the login page of the router where the user has to enter the default information when prompted regarding the router.
- The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and password are case sensitive.
- The Netgear Genie will appear. There, click the ADVANCED option. Click on Administration.
- Click the Router Update or Firmware update option. It may be different for different router models.
- Click Choose File or Browse option to locate the previously downloaded file.
- Click Open. Click the Update option to start the update process. The firmware will begin updating now.
Wait for the router to finish updating the firmware. Do not interrupt the update process as it may corrupt the router and may even render it useless.
Warning: It is recommended that the user updates the firmware as soon as Netgear releases the firmware. The FBI issued a warning regarding the Russian Malware which infected hundreds of thousands of Netgear routers. They advised the users to update the firmware so that the security on the router is updated to remove the Russian Malware. Netgear releases the firmware for their routers regularly so that the users do not face any problems regarding the security issues.