Netgear firmware update
Netgear is a world-renowned brand in the production of some of the most technically advanced networking hardware. Netgear networking devices like routers, modems, and range repeaters are very sophisticated in their usage. Besides producing the above-mentioned set of equipment, this brand also manufactures the Arlo series of audio-video surveillance devices that are used in performing the HD video coverage over a wide angle of range.
Netgear networking devices setup through www.routerlogin.net
Netgear has this great and easy to use web link routerlogin.net for its easy and quick set up. The users now don’t need to use their device’s default IP 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 for the setup and configuration or some other tasks like a firmware update.
Netgear firmware update via http://routerlogin.net
Before moving on to this important concept of router firmware update, the users should definitely be having a good amount of knowledge about what a firmware basically is.
Netgear router firmware
The firmware is actually a set of applications that constitute up whole software which in turn is used in accessing the manually manageable interface. The firmware of the router in simpler words is embedded software in the router’s hardware which can be accessed only in certain circumstances and only through two web links which are the default IP address of the router 192.168.1.1 and the custom web address www.routerlogin.net.
Netgear router firmware update in some easy steps
Don’t worry if you don’t know how to update the firmware of the router, let us show you how you can upgrade the existing firmware version of your Netgear wireless router in some of the easy steps mentioned below.
- Primarily, your main focus should be the firmware upgrade file and which needs to be downloaded from the support portal of the Netgear website www.netgear.com/support.
- Now, that you have downloaded the exact firmware update file from the portal and save it in an easily accessible and memorable location of your computer system.
- Also, it is assumed that the router is in on mode, open the web browser and input the web address www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and hit the enter key.
- You will be required to fill in the login details like username and password that you have set or else carry on with the default username and password which is “admin” and “password” for most of the Netgear routers.
- Now, that you have accessed the home window of the router setup page. There will be certain buttons for each process like reset, update etc. Click the router firmware>update button.
- Click the browse button after selecting the firmware update button and then select the firmware update file from its storage location.
- Double click and open the update file to start the upload/installation process and wait for few seconds till the update is done.
Some important points to remember about the router firmware update
- It is always advisable to use the wired Ethernet cable connection while updating the firmware of your Netgear wireless router.
- The continuous power supply to your router is also essential so that the router firmware update doesn’t get halted in between its course.
Why is it important to update the firmware of the Netgear Wi-Fi router?
The Netgear Wi-Fi router’s firmware is quite crucial to be updated. The users are strongly advised to perform this update operation on the router as the Netgear wireless router’s performance can be enhanced to a next level only after the firmware update on it. Some of the main benefits from the Netgear firmware update are listed below.
- Increased and enhanced data transfer rate over the wireless as well as wired network.
- Additional security cover for checking the personal data breach over the wireless networks between the devices and to the internet.
- No more lag or buffering experience as the update is most probably going to eliminate all the speed issues of the router.
- Some added parental and other security controls with the more interactive graphical user interface.
Upgrading the Netgear router’s firmware through Netgear Genie smart wizard
- In order to use the Netgear Genie smart wizard for updating the Netgear router’s firmware, you will need to download and install the Netgear Genie smart wizard on your computer system through the Netgear’s official website i.e. www.netgear.com.
- Once you have downloaded and installed the Genie smart wizard software on your computer system, launch this software and follow the steps mentioned below in order to get your router’s firmware updated in few seconds or minutes of time.
- Now, launch the Netgear Genie smart wizard software and look out for the settings or router settings tab on the top menu pane of the software.
- Then click the router settings tab and you will be asked to enter the login credentials that is “username” and “password”.
- Quote in the default username and password or the customized username and password of your router. Don’t fill the default credentials if you have already customized the login credentials of the router.
- Now, search for the Wireless settings tab and then select the router firmware update tab.
- Once, you have clicked the router firmware update tab, all the processes on the router will take place themselves, the update file will start to download and install itself.
- The user just needs to make sure certain things like the router’s power supply shouldn’t snap in between this whole process of updating.
- Also, the connection between the computer system and router device should be secured and reliable enough to not get disconnected suddenly.
In this way, your Netgear router’s firmware can be updated in some of the easy and time-saving steps. The Netgear firmware update can be done quite quickly by using this Netgear Genie smart setup wizard.
Resetting the Netgear wireless router
The Netgear wireless router reset is an essential part to be understood by the users as it is completely related to the Netgear router firmware update. The users need to reset their wireless router only in some specific cases like when the user has forgotten the login password if the router device isn’t working properly etc. The router will not respond or work properly if its firmware isn’t updated on a regular basis.
Let us try to understand how the Netgear networking device i.e. router and modem can be reset easily.
Resetting the Netgear device through factory reset button given on it
- Switch on the power supply of the router and wait for few seconds till the equipment wakes up and enters into a stable mode.
- Now, insert a long pointed object like a paper pin or a clip deep into the pinhole of the router where the reset button is given.
- Press and hold the reset button for at least 5 seconds till the lights on the router indicator panel go off and take a power cycle.
- Your Netgear wireless router will now be restored back to its original factory settings and all the configuration and personal information will be erased from the network memory of the router.
- Do not reset your router frequently or unnecessarily.
- Make sure that the reboot at the end of the reset doesn’t get hindered as it can corrupt the software/firmware of the router and your networking device can be rendered useless.
- The users are also advised not to make any unnecessary changes to the system hardware or software (firmware).
Some very popular and widely used router models from Netgear
- Netgear SRK60-100EUS Orbi Pro AC3000 Tri-band router
- Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 Wi-Fi router
- Netgear Orbi Voice Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi system
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200
- Netgear WNDR4720 Centria
- Netgear Nighthawk AX8-AX6000 Wi-Fi router
Some crucial and frequently asked queries about the Netgear firmware update
Does the firmware version get restored back to its factory version after hard resetting it?
Yes, in most of the cases, the firmware of the Netgear wireless routers gets degraded to its original factory version. However, in some of the odd cases, the users are advised to check the firmware version of the router from the top right corner of the router setup window.
How can we come that a firmware update on our router is due?
The users can simply check for any updates on their router’s firmware through the firmware version number on the top right or top left corner of the setup window. Once you have noted down your existing firmware version of your router, just check for the latest one from the official support portal of Netgear i.e. www.netgear.com/support.
Is there any other possible method to update the firmware of the router?
Yes, you can update the firmware of the router through the check button which is always flashing somewhere on the home screen of the router setup page. Just click on that flashing check button to know more about the update available.
What if the user is not able to update the firmware of the router through www.routerlogin.net web address?
This web address wwwrouterlog.net is the dedicated web link from Netgear that is used to access the login page of the router setup instead of the default IP address of the router which is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. You can also try to get into your device’s setup portal through this default IP of the router.
From where do I get my router/modem’s default IP address?
Well, for most of the Netgear’s networking devices, the default IP address for various tasks is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. But in case you have forgotten your router’s IP, don’t panic it will be still printed on the brand endorsement sicker pasted on the router’s body. Also, you can get your device’s IP by launching this command IPCONFIG in the command prompt tool of the computer system.
Why is it necessary to update the Netgear firmware?
The Netgear firmware update is not necessary but however, it is very strongly recommended as it is through this firmware update, that the user can keep his/her networking9 device in efficient working condition. There are several other benefits of updating the firmware of the router like increased and efficient networking device speed and enhanced wireless signal connectivity etc.
How often Netgear releases the updates on its router devices?
The update release on the networking products is not limited to any number of times, it is purely based on the need of time, if the user is facing any kind of lag, buffer or other hurdles in the smooth working of the router device, then it is most likely that the update on that particular router firmware will be released soon.
What should I do if the router isn’t responding properly or lagging behind or if the user has forgotten the router login password?
The user is advised to go for a router factory reset in the above-mentioned set of cases. The Netgear router can be reset to its original factory settings through one of the two methods mentioned below.
- Reset through the reset button
- Reset through the web interface of the router (routerlogin.net)